Summer — the season of neighborhood cookouts, popsicle juice dripping down sticky fingers, and road trips. Call us car-zy, but this time of year brings an abundance of nostalgia, especially when it comes to driving down the highway while blasting The Proclaimers’ “I’m Gonna Be.”
That’s why we’re excited to kick off Hit the Road. In this summer road trip series, we will feature three destinations throughout June, July, and August — each with its own theme. We’ll be talking outdoor adventures, 60-mile getaways, and something for the foodies.
Before you pack your bags, here are some of our recommendations to prepare locally:
🥤 Stock up on road trip essentials
Swing by one of these Nashville spots to stock up on snacks, drinks, and coffee to minimize your stops during the road trip.
- Silo Market, 5500 Centennial Blvd. | This market in The Nations is a hub for local products, beer and wine + grab-and-go items.
- Bongo Java, locations vary | Grab an iced latte for the road + a bag of coffee for the trip.
- Frothy Bakery | Stock up on loaves of bread, bagels, and muffins.
- Kernels Nashville Popcorn, 2501B Gallatin Ave. | This family-owned popcorn shop offers 14+ flavors, including white cheddar, sweet heat, and vanilla cinnamon.
🎶 Create a road trip playlist
Check out these local artists + add some of their tunes to your road trip rotation.
- Maren Morris, “Humble Quest”
- Wildeyes, “Shut up and Dance”
- Jack White, “Fear of the Dawn”
- Bonus: Check out the NASHtoday Music City Friday playlist for more new music.
🚘 Get your car ready
Check the fluids + car battery. If you notice anything out of the ordinary before you go, head to one of these local car shops.
- Ben’s Auto Service & Tire, 3604 Nolensville Pk.
- McDuffee Tire Service, 661 Thompson Ln.
- Kwik Kar Lube & Tune, 7000 Charlotte Pk.
- Bonus: Find the cheapest places to fill up your gas tank.
🐶 Don’t forget about fido
Be sure to line up accommodations for your pet while you’re away. Reach out to one of the many local pet sitters or pet boarding facilities. Here are a few: