Support Us Button Widget

Dig into the details: Mayor O’Connell’s $3.1B transit plan for Nashville

It was first announced that Nashvillians can expect to see a transit referendum on the November ballot back in February. Now, we have more details on what that plan will look like.

A blurred view of someone driving and about to take an exit as they come into the Nashville. You can see the downtown skyline clearly in the distance.

Whether you walk, bike, ride, or drive — this plan is geared towards you. | Photo by Luke Witter via Unsplash

Two months following Mayor O’Connell’s announcement that Nashvillians can expect a major transit improvement plan on the November ballot, we now have an idea of what that might look like.

The $3.1 billion “Choose How You Move” initiative would depend on voters approving a half-cent sales tax increase (that’s an additional $70 a year for a household with a median income of $70,000) to fund improvements in four key areas: sidewalks, signals, service, and safety.

The increase, if approved, could go into effect in February 2025 and would account for around 40% of the plan’s total cost. The other 60% will come from state + federal funds and other sources. Let’s take a look at the big picture.

Public transit

WeGo service improvement and expansion accounts for over half of the plan’s focus. Key highlights include:

  • 12 new transit centers
  • 285 new or upgraded bus stops
  • 17 park and ride locations
  • Two bus garages
  • 65 buses
  • Doubled service and 24/7 routes

Sidewalks, signals, and safety

Don’t move with WeGo? These improvements are aimed at making travel seamless for drivers, walkers, bikers, and pedestrians.

  • 86 miles of new or upgraded sidewalks + safety improvements at 35 intersections identified as “high injury” areas
  • Modernizing 592 traffic signals along pikes and transit routes that will adapt based on traffic so drivers can spend less time at red lights
  • Up to 35 miles of new or improved bike facilities
  • 54 miles of All-Access Corridors with bus-only lanes to improve travel for all modes

Pro tip: Visit pages 92-94 of the project plan to see the proposed timeline of updates in years to come.

Next steps to move forward

    Buckle up — The plan still has a few stops before it reaches the ballot. Nashvillians can expect public input opportunities, and later this summer, it will go before Metro Council for approval.
    Bonus: Use the project’s interactive maps to keep track of each component’s plans based on how you move most.

    More from NASHtoday