Metro Parks’ latest addition officially opened on Aug. 16 across from Cane Ridge High School in Antioch — 12847 Old Hickory Blvd. Mill Ridge Park spans 622 acres, so allow us to map out the need-to-knows before you decide to park it and explore for the day.
🌳 Dissecting the development
Officials identified the Antioch area as the last quadrant of the county still in need of a large-acreage park. It was included as part of the 2017 Plan to Play initiative, which acts as the blueprint for Nashville parks and greenway systems over the course of 10 years. Construction on Phase 1 of the park began in spring 2021.
🌳 Spotlighting features
- For the kids: Largest playground in the county and a five-story climbing tower and slide
- For the sportos: Basketball courts and fitness equipment for outdoor workouts
- For the social butterfly: Event lawn for community performances and festivals + picnic shelters
Of course, green space is also a primary focus with as many as 300 new trees dispersed throughout, paved and primitive trails, and grassland meadows. Pro tip: There’s a map of the park’s four hiking trails — ranging from moderate to difficult.
While strolling through the park, make a pit stop at the permanent, interactive public art installation, “Whistle, Two, Ready!” As you walk past a series of five bollards, you’ll hear student recordings from the Cane Ridge High School Band.
🌳 Upcoming programming
Friends of Mill Ridge Park wasted no time organizing special events so you can see the park and enjoy all that it has to offer. Add these upcoming must-dos to your calendar:
- Outside Cinema | Friday, Aug. 18 | 8 p.m. | Watch “Minions: The Rise of Gru” under the stars while munching on provided popcorn.
- Farm Friends | Tuesdays + Thursdays, weekly | 9-11:30 a.m. | Volunteer to help with a variety of farm-related tasks like planting, farmhouse repairs, and park beautification.
- Cook Out | Wednesday, Aug. 30 | 6:30 p.m. | Roast hot dogs and stay later for an ice cream social, blue supermoon watch party, and night walk through the park.