Students across Nashville and Middle Tennessee are headed back to school in the coming days. Here’s what you should know ahead of the new school year.
As a reminder, most area private schools return in mid-to-late August. You can find academic calendars and other information on each school’s website.
⏰ Upcoming first days of school
Aside from MNPS, most districts begin with a half-day schedule followed by a full day of school on Mon., Aug. 8.
- Metro Nashville Public Schools | Mon., Aug. 8
- Williamson County Schools | Fri., Aug. 5
- Franklin Special School District | Fri., Aug. 5
- Cheatham County Schools | Fri., Aug. 5
- Rutherford County Schools | Fri., Aug. 5
- Murfreesboro City Schools | Fri., Aug. 5
- Robertson County Schools | Mon., Aug. 8
✏️ Write down these resources
Check out the below resources to help you and your students hit the ground running this fall.
- First things first. Check your school’s website for the supplies list.
- Individual schools set the requirements for standard school attire or uniforms, meaning the dress code varies across the district. Refer to each school’s website to verify what’s required.
- In case you missed it, MNPS announced that all school meals will be free during the 2022-2023 school year. Keep track of breakfast and lunch menus.
- There’s an app for that. The Metro Schools mobile app is a one stop shop for district and school updates, calendars, and tech support.
👋 See you later, summer
In the midst of back-to-school prep, there are also opportunities to savor the last few days of summer break.
- Nashville Soccer Club Day | Sat., Aug. 6 | 9 a.m.-6 p.m. | Nashville Zoo at Grassmere | Prices vary | Wear your official Nashville SC merchandise or present your tickets to that night’s match to receive a $2 discount on zoo admission.
- Back to School Bonfire | Sat., Aug. 6 | 6-9 p.m. | Bells Bend Outdoor Center, 4187 Old Hickory Blvd. | Sit around the campfire + enjoy s’mores while supplies last.
- Glow in the Park | Sat., Aug. 6 | 6-10 p.m. | The Adventure Park at Nashville, 801 Percy Warner Blvd. | $42 | Zipline and climb trees while rocking out to today’s hits — recommended for ages 7 and up.