Cruise over to Lane Motor Museum in honor of National Car Collector Appreciation Day, a day celebrating automotive restoration and collection.
If you’ve never visited the museum, located southeast of downtown at 702 Murfreesboro Pk., hop in NASHtoday’s passenger seat as we explore the largest European collection of cars and motorcycles in the US.
🚙 Fast facts
- Lane Motor Museum — founded by collector Jeff Lane — is home to 550+ vehicles (cars, boats, bikes, and planes), with ~150 on the showroom floor on any given day.
- All other cars are stored in a vault beneath the building. Visitors can tour the vault on weekends.
- The museum’s smallest vehicle is the Peel P50 + the largest vehicle is the LARC-LX (suited for land and water).
One of the most unique cars in the collection is the Helicron, a one-of-a-kind propeller-powered car.
🚙 Currently on display
The museum is showcasing its open-wheeled race cars along with a few guests from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum. A Recipe for Speed: Open-Wheel Racing debuted ahead of last year’s Music City Grand Prix + will remain on display through May 29, 2023. Other special exhibits include The Fantastic Fiat 500 (on display through April 10, 2023) and Open and Shut: A Diverse Display of Doors (on display through April 17, 2023).
🚙 Events + member perks
- Museum Fun Day | Sat., July 9 + Sat., Aug. 27 | 10 a.m.-5 p.m. | Free+ | Visit the museum for vault tours, rides, and demonstrations.
- Cars & Coffee | Sat., Sept. 24 | 7-9 a.m. | Free, registration required | Enjoy cars, conversation, and free museum admission — all makes of autos and bikes welcome.
- Amphicar Rides | Wed., Oct. 12 | 4-7 p.m. | $10 | This member-exclusive event at Percy Priest Lake gives car lovers a chance to ride in the 1964 Amphicar.
The vehicles that still run are taken out for a drive at least twice a year, meaning you just might spot one around town.