We know all too well that finding a parking spot in and around the downtown core can be an adventure. If you’re tired of circling the block in search of that perfect spot, here’s a quick go-to parking guide that will help you arrive at your destination on time.
Around 1,000 metered parking spaces are located downtown, as well as in neighborhoods southwest of downtown, including The Gulch, Midtown, Music Row, SoBro, Edgehill, and Hillsboro Village.
NDOT continues to install “multi-space pay stations” on a rolling basis as part of the city’s new Smart Parking Program. The pay stations, which will replace the old coin-operated meters, are expected to be activated and enforced by early summer.
Rates are $2.25 per hour in the Central Business District + $1.75 per hour at all others. The new pay stations accept cards, coins, and mobile payment options via “scan to pay” QR codes.
Bonus: This map shows areas where pay stations have already been installed and activated (blue) and the stations that are pending activation (green).
Metro operates two public parking facilities — the Church Street Plaza Garage (151 6th Ave. N.) connected to the main library and the Public Square Garage (101 James Robertson Pkwy.) connected to the Metro Courthouse. Rates are:
- $3 to $20 for daily parking
- $10 to $15 for event parking
- $5 to $10 for night and weekend parking after 5 p.m.
Looking for something a little closer to your destination? Check out this interactive parking map for all garages and surface lots (plus charging stations) in the downtown core. Pro tip: Click on each lot to see the number of spaces + hourly and daily rates.
Tips for your trips
- If new pay stations are not yet accepting payment, customers should continue to use the old meters until the new machines are activated.
- Drivers who own certain hybrid + non-hybrid vehicles can park for a small yearly fee in most areas of downtown.
- Parking at any metered space is free for drivers with handicap placards or license plates.
- Forego parking altogether and use public transportation. Ride into downtown via train using WeGo Star or navigate the city via bus using WeGo Transit. View the full list of transit services.