Tomorrow is Juneteenth — a portmanteau of the words June + nineteenth. The holiday, also known as Jubilee Day, Freedom Day, or Emancipation Day, commemorates June 19, 1865, the day Union General Gordon Granger arrived in Galveston, Texas to read General Order No. 3 — a federal order freeing any and all previously enslaved people in Texas.
To celebrate we’ve rounded up 8 Juneteenth events for you to try:
- Juneteenth Block Party | Sat. June 19 | 9 a.m.-4 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Attend a dedication ceremony for the National Museum of African American Music, followed by a family-friendly block party.
- Juneteenth on the River Celebration | Sat., June 19 | 10 a.m.-10 p.m. | Riverfront Park | A full day of celebrating Juneteenth.
- Black on Buchanan | Sat., June 19 | 1:30-6 p.m. | Buchanan St. | Free | Hosted by Nashville comedian Josh Black.
- Pre-Juneteenth Link Up | Fri., June 18 | 9 p.m. | Venue 109, 109 Cude Ln. | $10+ | Guests are encouraged to participate in festivities by wearing green, red, or black.
- Music City Freedom Fest 2021 | Sat., June 19 | 12-6 p.m. | Hadley Park, 1037 28th Ave. N. | Free | A celebration of culture, community, music, food, and more.
- JUNETEENTH615 Celebration: A Taste of Freedom | Sat., June 19 | 5-10 p.m. | Fort Negley Park, 1100 Fort Negley Blvd. | Free | A day full of local food trucks + live music in partnership with the African American Cultural Alliance.
- Juneteenth | Sat., June 19 | 10 a.m. | Bradley Academy Museum & Cultural Center, 415 S. Academy St., Murfreesboro | Free | Featuring games, activities, food vendors, artists, live music + dancing
- Clarksville Juneteenth Block Party | Sat., June 19 | 10 a.m.-7 p.m. | Downtown Commons, 215 Legion St., Clarksville | Free | An outdoor party featuring live music, local vendors, activities + guest artist Tim Gent.