Making your list and checking it twice? The grocery list, that is. Tennessee’s grocery tax holiday begins tomorrow, Aug. 1 and runs through Tuesday, Oct. 31.
During this period, Tennesseans will not pay tax on most food and food ingredients from grocery stores — everything from pantry staples to frozen meals, baby food, and ice cream. Alcoholic beverages, candy, and prepared food are excluded.
In the spirit of supermarket savings, unleash your inner chef and savor the flavors of these Nashville-inspired dishes.
Biscuit Love | Family Reserve Biscuits (full recipe)
For the biscuits:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, very cold
- 2 tablespoons lard, very cold (can be substituted with butter)
- 1 cup full-fat buttermilk
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
Heads up: You’ll want to use a cast iron skillet for this one.
Martin’s Bar-B-Que Joint | BBQ Shrimp N’ Grits (full recipe)
For the grits:
- 11/2 cups quick-cook grits
- 7 1/2 cups water, divided
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
For the shrimp:
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced (~6 strips)
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch green onions.
- 1 tablespoon Martin’s Dixie Rib Rub
- 1/2 cup Sweet Dixie Bar-B-Que Sauce
- 1/2 cup water
Edley’s | Banana Pudding (full recipe)
- 1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 cup condensed milk
- 9 ounces cream cheese
- 20 ounces of whole milk
- 6 ounces of vanilla pudding mix
- 6 bananas
- 8 ounces Nilla wafers
Hungry for more? Check out “Recipe Notes: A Taste of Music City, Vol. 2” a 68-page cookbook of beloved Nashville recipes, featuring new and old favorites across five categories — appetizers, sides, entrees, desserts, and beverages.