Kids, this is the story of how I met your mother, and it was all thanks to NASHtoday.
Ok, so maybe that’s not exactly how the 2000s sitcom went, but if Ted Mosby had consulted us for date night ideas, we could’ve shaved the show down to two seasons (and saved his kids a lot of time). Regardless, whether you’ve met “the one” or are hoping to impress someone new, we’ve got 22 local date night ideas that are legen — wait for it — dary.
For the ones who want a night out on the town
- Find out how to make them laugh by watching a show at Zanies. Feeling confident? Take them to a Roast the Host open mic night at Third Coast Comedy Club.
- Get a boatload of good times on the General Jackson Showboat for one of its evening cruises on the Cumberland River.
- Plan a date for the first Saturday of the month and head downtown for the First Saturday Art Crawl, where you can stroll through open galleries at night and enjoy light refreshments.
- Head to the Tennessee Performing Arts Center during Broadway season, or see a Nashville Symphony production at Schermerhorn Symphony Center.
If the way to their heart is through their stomach
- Source ingredients (and don’t forget the flowers) at one of Nashville’s 10+ farmers markets before making dinner together at home.
- Lean into the romance with an intimate wine tasting experience in Leipers Fork creek (that’s right, bring your water shoes). Munch on a curated charcuterie board for two paired with wine.
- If you want to keep the date night going, Ophelia’s Pizza + Bar offers a late night experience — After-Dinner Party. Sip cocktails and enjoy a selection of signature pizzas on Friday and Saturday nights from 10:30 p.m. until 1 a.m.
If you love the great outdoors
- Enjoy a movie out under the stars. From June to December, catch free and low-cost screenings at one of ~10 places hosting outdoor movies.
- Buzz around Southall Farm & Inn and take in the beautiful grounds while learning more about our pollinators via the Bee Cruise or Native Bee Experience.
- Get a cheese spread from Grey’s Fine Cheeses and picnic with a view of the Parthenon and Lake Watauga at Centennial Park, or have Picnic in the Ville curate the experience for you.
For the ones who like to play games (just not with your heart)
- Unleash your competitive side playing rounds of pinball, duckpin bowling, Skee-Ball, and more at Pins Mechanical. Don’t miss: Game and drink deals Monday through Thursday.
- This date is a two-fer with a dose of caffeine and a side of competition. Visit Bongo East for a part coffeehouse, part board game atmosphere, and choose a board from the curated lending library while sipping lattes.
- Want a game where you can root for the same team? Cheer on our pro and minor league sports year-round through hockey, soccer, football, and baseball.
- Pick out books for each other at The Library Café, then settle in on the sofa and sip on a beverage while you read. Pro tip: We even got a local discount.
If you’re really hoping that it works out
- Pick up a new skill together and head to a dance class with Arthur Murray Dance Centers. Bonus: Your first class is free.
- Explore the Shelby Bottoms or Stones River greenways with Bike the Greenway. Pro tip: If you’re looking to take some of the work out of the workout, rent a pedal-assist bike.
- Climb to the top of their “best date” list after you take them to an indoor climbing session at The Climb Gyms. If you visit the West location, we recommend a trip down the road to L&L Market afterwards for a beer at Bassline or a hat-making experience with American Paint Hat Co.
If you want an “old fashioned”-style date
- Check out one of these four speakeasy-style Nashville bars for a blast from the past.
- Fancy a classic flick? Watch a screening in 35mm film, or make it a late night with a dose of nostalgia at the Belcourt Theatre’s midnight movie series.
- Put your own car in park and stroll through 150 unique cars and motorcycles at Lane Motor Museum. Some date back to the early 1900s.
- Grab an actual old fashioned at Grandpa Bar — The Only Tenn I See pays homage to the state in four ways, can you spot them?
- Nothing says Throwback Thursday like a historic tour of Nashville via Nashville Sites, where you can learn more about one of Nashville’s earliest suburbs or how the city earned its nickname the Athens of the South.
If you wanna show off by knowing all the hottest events in town
- Shameless plug: Sign up for our daily newsletter, where we call out our top picks of things to do around town. Your date doesn’t have to know we’re behind it, you can take all the credit.
- Stay up-to-date on the coolest local events around Nashville with our events page (and check out this guide for our tips on navigating the page).
What did we miss? If you know a perfect date spot that’s not on the list, guide us in the right direction using this survey.